Monday, June 17, 2013

Strength

Strength is a funny thing...it means so many different things to people. Some get lost in the comparison of it, some get lost in the search of more of it, and some feel lost at not having enough. But through training for Ragnar, I learned to not compare my speed and endurance to that of others, as I am comparing oranges and apples. Our bodies and strides differ just as much as our muscle stamina and flexibility. As I reflect on my quiet time while running, I started to apply this to life and realize that maybe we have been looking at the picture of strength, all the wrong way! Strength is not necessarily only found in what you can do and do so well, but in overcoming those gigantic obstacles you never thought you could move out of your way.  Personally for me, the loss of a child in miscarriage, the fear of losing another one, the fear of hearing the words "cancer...again". The fears of not seeing my boys graduate high school, college, or meet their wives, not being there for my husband-to lay by his side when he needs help to fall asleep; mountains...
Today I had a wonderful conversation with a sweet friend and she said something about some fears we both share....they are struggles we will have to live with, but we won't let them control us. To some I may appear to be weak, I'm a slower runner and have to break every now and then, but for me, I'm moving those mountains one by one! I may break down one day in one hot mess, or be a little too overprotective of my babies, but I'm moving mountains, little by little! 

This year... no cancer was found, this year... I had the baby "they" said would never happen, this year...I'm not a volunteer cheering from the sidelines, this year...I run!!

                      -Candace

No comments:

Post a Comment